Insights from a Cybersecurity Experts: Trends and Best Practices

In the rapidly evolving field of cybersecurity, staying updated with the latest trends and best practices is crucial. As I was browsing through some resources, I came across an insightful interview conducted with Tom Kirkham, a renowned cybersecurity expert and the founder and CEO of IronTech Security. He shared his experiences and insights on current trends in cybersecurity and best practices for businesses.

Background

Tom Kirkham is the founder and CEO of IronTech Security, a managed security service provider (MSSP) that focuses on educating and encouraging law firms, court systems, water utilities, and financial firms to establish a security-first environment with cybersecurity training programs for all workers to prevent successful attacks. He brings more than three decades of software design, network administration, computer security, and cybersecurity knowledge to organizations across the United States.

Key Insights from the Interview

• Passion for Education: Kirkham is passionate about protecting everyone from hackers and emphasizes the importance of education in cybersecurity.

• Experience with Cyber Attacks: He shared his experience with a lateral movement ransomware attack, highlighting the importance of a coordinated and timely response.

• Constantly Changing Field: Kirkham loves the fast pace of change in cybersecurity, which keeps him engaged and challenged.

• Pandemic-Themed Cyber Crimes: He confirmed that pandemic-themed cyber crimes are still happening and noted a significant increase in attacks on remote access technology.

• Recommendations for Businesses: Kirkham recommends using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection to the corporate network and implementing MFA (multi-factor authentication) for businesses looking to enhance their cybersecurity.

• Advice for Aspiring Cybersecurity Professionals: For those looking to start a career in cybersecurity, Kirkham advises getting certifications and understanding the hacking industry.

• Common Misconceptions: He believes that businesses often think they are too small to be hit with a cyber attack and that they think cybersecurity is an IT problem, not recognizing that Information Technology and Information Security are two different specialties.

• Recommended Resources: Kirkham recommends the book “This is How You Tell me The World Ends” by Nicole Perlroth for those looking to understand the size and scale of the cybersecurity industry.

I found Kirkham’s insights to be very valuable. As cybersecurity threats continue to evolve, staying informed and implementing robust security measures is more important than ever for businesses.

What are your thoughts on these insights? Do you have any other questions about cybersecurity trends and best practices? Let’s discuss!